Get Well wishes to Barry S..
I was sorry to hear about his road riding accident, via the local grapevine. He was downed on Tower Road by one of the many sticks left over from the storms last week. Apparently the stick sent him flying over the bars. He broke one of his cervical vertebrae and also needed many stitches. I am told he will be in a brace until the vertebra heals. Get well soon, Barry.
I wanted so badly to ride yesterday (Monday - I am writing this late Tuesday night) but I was too beat up from Sunday's race to go. Unusual for me to skip a ride. But that race took me to a new level of pain, numbness, misery and frustration. More on that another post.
I want to take advantage of every moment left of summer! As for today (Tuesday) - long ago I signed up to go to a lecture and video presentation on Robbie Ventura's experiences as a commentator for Vs. at the Tour. I had no idea then that today would be one of the most perfect riding days (for me) we've had. Do I skip the lecture so I can do a two hour ride? what to do? I did a 1.5 hour ride (still hurting from Sunday's race and crash) and got to the lecture very late. It was the right choice, the ride was good. The part of Robbie's presentation that I caught was very amusing. Being in the very back, I couldn't hear everything, so I paid the price for being late. Funny stories and videos about Bob Roll and the other announcers, stories about trying to find their way driving around France, getting tickets for driving like maniacs to the next stage, dealing with crazy fans, trying to get interviews with tired racers and Lance, and so on.
At the Q& A one of my questions was, "What did Floyd have to say about the Leadville 100?" Robbie is Floyd's coach, and Floyd came in second to Dave Wiens by a minute or so a couple of weeks ago. (Dave set a course record, no doubt due to Floyd breathing down his neck!) He said Floyd thought it was the hardest one day race he's ever done!!
Sooo, I know many (most?) people will disagree, but I loved today for riding! It was a little too windy and a little too humid, but otherwise, for me, the 89-91 temperature by the lakefront was perfect for road riding. Two friends that I talked to thought so too. I know some would wither and die at that temp, but this is what I wait for all year long, in terms of riding.... It also would have been a good night to go eat outside at a restaurant with outside sidewalk tables. I haven't gotten to do that yet this summer, with racing and riding and rain. The one time we tried, the outside tables were full. Hopefully this weekend, before it's too late.
Fashion Update: I read that fanny packs are back, for those who care about such things. The designer labels are making super expensive versions, and calling them by other names such as "bum bags".
Tour of Elk Grove TV Coverage: 4:30 pm Wed on Comcast Sports Network (37 locally). Rebroadcast Sunday afternoon, along with Downer's Grove coverage.
Congrats to Scott McCl., who was pretty happy about getting 1st in his age group in Comp at the Rhinelander WORS race. And to everyone else who survived the course!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment